Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Canada Day


Opening night in the Canadian Football League - particularly when it's on July 1 - traditionally has been very good to Adrian Davis.
The Calgary Stampeders defensive tackle, acquired in an off-season deal with the Toronto Argonauts, carries an impressive streak into Friday night's 2011 lid-lifter against his old team.
The past two Canada Day season openers have seen Davis play his most impressive games of the season, and his two career sacks were both posted in those openers. Two years ago against Hamilton, Davis posted a sack and two tackles. Last year, filling in for the suspended Adriano Belli, Davis had a sack and four tackles against the Stampeders.
So, the chance to play again on Canada Day, and against his old teammates, seems to be a perfect way for Davis to make his Stampeder regular-season debut.
"I didn't even realize it until my mom told me and it put a smile on my face," said Davis on Tuesday. "This year I'm trying to up those numbers and make some plays, and I feel good because it's a team that I'm familiar with. I practised against those guys every day, and I feel like it's going to be a really good day.
"I've had a chance to talk to a few guys over there, but just general chat. No real trash-talking. I had a great time over there and it was a great locker-room. There's no hostility or animosity. And it's going to be great seeing them."

No comments:

Post a Comment