Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Today Show


Columbia City Council is considering an emergency curfew after police said an 18-year-old was savagely beaten by a group of teens just before midnight in one of the city's popular nightspots.

The June 20 beating led City Council on Tuesday to consider an emergency curfew requiring anyone 17 and younger to be off the streets from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Since the ordinance is an emergency law, it would only need to be approved on one council vote, but would expire after 65 days.

19-year-old Thyeem Henrey and seven juveniles are being held in the June 20 beating of Carter Strange.
Police said Strange was jogging home just after midnight when the suspects approached him and beat him up.

According to family members, Strange had to have emergency brain surgery.

Strange was released from the hospital on Sunday and has already ventured back to Five Points to get coffee with his mother.

Carter told WIS-TV he recently talked to the man who found him and called 911. "I told him how much I appreciate what he did, because otherwise I wouldn't be here right now," said Carter.

"The main thing now that I'm okay, I don't want this to happen to anyone else," said Carter.

"I never expected this story to get this ridiculously big," Strange said. "I never expected it to spread this far. On top of that, it's really opened my eyes and helped me realize what's really important."

Carter Strange's family appeared Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show, and the teen said he doesn't think about forgiving his attackers because he doesn't want to think about them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment