Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Keanu Reeves


At least Keanu Reeves can laugh about his sad persona.

The actor -- deemed "Sad Keanu" because of a series of photos of him looking depressed and moping -- has written a book mocking his nickname.

"Ode To Happiness" is a collection of inkblot paintings -- which purposely look like they've been blurred by tears -- and accompanying depressing passages, like "I draw a hot sorrow bath" and "In my despair room."

The last line in the book is a black smudge with the words "It can always be worse."

Reeves says he was inspired to write the book while listening to a radio station that "was playing, like, an orgy of depressing, self-pitying, nostalgic music. You know, 'I'm so lonely and I've been left and my heart is broken.' It was so voluptuously horrible. And I just started to write on this piece of paper, because I had this image of, you know, that moment when you take that bath, you light that candle, and you're really just kind of depressed. And it was making [my friend] laugh so hard."

Although the actor -- who even inspired Cheer Up Keanu Day" -- initially wrote it as a joke amongst friends, the tome quickly became an in-demand page-turner.

Reeves and two of his friends contacted a German publisher and the three spent days in the country producing "Ode To Happiness."

But don't expect to find it at your local bookstore -- yet. There is a limited-edition pressing of 4,000 copies, which so far have only been sold in the U.K.

And "Ode to Happiness" is just the first of many pieces of literature the "Matrix" star is hoping to pen. Up next? "Haikus of Hope."

Reeves explains, "Basically like, 'I want to kill myself', and go from there."

No comments:

Post a Comment