Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Michael Phelps


The hierarchy of American swimming is shifting; the reign of Phelps, the 14-time gold medallist, is under threat from the clown prince of the pool.
In one of the most anticipated races of the World Championships, Phelps attacked early edging in front but Lochte countered at the 100m turn, surfacing in the lead. Phelps’s strong finish was not enough and Lochte took gold.
“I knew Michael wanted to go out to clean water, so I knew I had to be in striking distance and just work what I’m good at — those under-waters on each turn,” Lochte said. “It’s a big confidence boost.”
Phelps, who followed the race by qualifying for today’s 200m butterfly final, felt having Lochte next to him played to his rival’s advantage.
“I think if I’d been on the other side of the pool the race would have turned out a little different,” Phelps said. “I think I woke him in the first 100m and he went with me. I’m bummed that we didn’t win but I’m a second faster than I was last year so I’m back heading in the right direction.”
Phelps ceded a lot of ground – well, water – to his rivals last year, hacking his way round the golf course when he should have been training. Lochte, so much the slacker out of the pool, trained harder than ever in it.
Based in Florida, Lochte has always been relaxed living in Phelps’s shadow. He is the 200m backstroke Olympic champion and defending world champion in the 200m and 400m medley but has nowhere near the international profile of his team-mate and rival. That is starting to change.
“I never feel pressure,” the 26 year-old said. “I never get nervous. The only thing I feel is dead tired after a race.”
He took to the podium wearing a diamond-encrusted grill (hip-hop bling for your teeth, apparently) and came out to his block wearing basketball shorts and high-top trainers. He freely admits to wolfing down fast food and going out drinking with his friends once a week. He even nearly missed this meet after having a scooter crash.
“I don’t really care what people think,” Lochte said before the meet. “As long as I’m having fun, I’ll act a fool. Me and him [Phelps] live two different lifestyles. Our personalities are different. He’s a more conservative type; I’m more of an out-there, gone-wild type.”
The difference in personalities and the intensity of their in-pool rivalry doesn’t stop them getting on out of the water, however.
“He’s the only person I’ll even say anything to in the ready room,” Phelps said. “We can joke around. He can hear what’s on my headphones, so we were both singing along to the music. We’re super laid-back, super relaxed. We have fun. We love to race each other. We bring the best out of each other.”
The pair are scheduled to meet again tomorrow in the 200m medley. It will be another enthralling contest and if Lochte wins, Phelps will not be going to London next summer as the king of the pool. He won’t even be the best on his team.
ยต Britain’s Lizzie Simmonds came seventh in the 100m backstroke final yesterday and the 20 year-old felt the race was the perfect preparation for a medal challenge in her stronger event, the 200m backstroke, on Saturday.
“The first race is always going to be a little bit ropey so it’s good to get a few out of the way before the big hit later in the week,” she said.
Liam Tancock was third at the halfway point of the 100m backstroke final but finished sixth while Michael Rock failed to qualify for today’s 200m butterfly final after falling ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment